Monday, September 20, 2010

Believer

Article : http://believermag.com/issues/201009/?read=interview_nagle

Believer

            There are many things that go on daily without much thought. One of these regular occurrences is garbage collection. People throw out pounds of trash each day without giving any thought to where it goes after it leaves their hand. Trash collection is very important and is a key element to every society. Without it, disease and fatality would increase greatly. We would live in our own filth, and our society and economy would ultimately fail.
Since I have moved from home into the dorms here at U of M I have really become more aware of how much I throw away each day. This brings up another important point: Recycling. I do not personally recycle, although I know I should. It is difficult to do, especially living in the dorms because of the very limited space that we have to live in. It requires additional attention and effort that many people don’t feel makes a big enough difference. After reading this article my thought about trash collection has changed, I was surprised at how important garbage collection really is. I have noticed more how much waste I personally cause everyday, and how much it adds up for every person. It makes me realize the importance of recycling and reducing waste.
I think this article is great for anyone to read because it really bring out points that most people ignore everyday. If everyone’s view on trash collection changed like mine did after reading this and becoming more knowledgeable of the subject then I really believe that the amount of things they threw away each day would be less and less. People would maybe even consider starting to recycle certain materials. It is important for people know that what they do affects the whole world and to appreciate people who work in the sanitation industry because in the end we probably owe them our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment